Hello everybody! So yesterday (Sunday) was time to workout the legs. I gotta admit that i have mixed feelings, when it comes to leg training days, i dread it since i know that I’m gonna destroy my muscles with hard training and going to be sore as hell the following 2-3 days, but on the other hand excited to lift heavy weights as my legs are my strongest body parts by far. As i have mentioned previously, i don’t take any pre-workout supplements before leg training, because the pumps would be too painful and i would start cramping. I just drank 1 liter of pineapple juice before and during my workout to keep my energy level high.

I warmed my body up by doing 10 minutes on the cross trainer

Warm-up on crosstrainer

Warm-up on cross trainer

After which i did some explosive stretches lightly to wake my muscles up, i usually don’t do conventitional static stretches BEFORE my workouts, but i do light static stretches to the muscle I’m working in between sets and after workouts at home.

Let’s get to my workout:

Leg extensions light (to warm my knees up)

Leg extensions for quads

Leg extensions for quads

2 sets of 15 reps with 50kg/110lbs

Deep squat (same as traditional squat, but i go really deep to shock my leg muscles and get more muscle fibers involved)

Deep squat

Deep squat

Set 1: 10 reps with 80kg/176lbs

Set 2: 10 reps with 90kg/198lbs

Set 3: 8 reps with 100kg/220lbs

Note. I did the reps in a slow, controlled fashion. Slower than normally, to force the muscles to work and not have any momentum helping my lift the weights up.

Wide squat (sumo squat)

Wide squat (sumo squat)

3 sets of 8 reps with 90kg/198lbs

Note. In order to do this exercise correctly, make sure that your knees and feet are pointing to the same direction from start to finish of the exercise, your feet should be pointing outwards slightly.

V-squat machine ( i rarely do this, just wanted a bit of a different angle to work my quads)

V-squat machine for quads

V-squat machine for quads

Set 1: 12 reps with 60kg/132lbs

Set 2: 10 reps with 75kg/165lbs

Set 3: 8 reps with 85kg/187lbs

Note. I tried to position my feet fairly down on the machine platform to target my quads more instead of my hamstrings.

Seated leg curls for hamstrings

Seated Leg Curls

Seated Leg Curls

3 sets of 12 with 50kg/110lbs

Note. I have trouble with putting up big weights with hamstring exercises, i have to work on that more. To hit the hamstrings from a different angle during this exercise, make sure your feet are pointing forwards instead of upwards, you will notice a difference and the weight will become heavier. This reduces the help you receive from your calves and relies more on the hamstrings alone.

Dumbbell deadlifts

Dumbbell deadlift for hamstrings

Dumbbell deadlift for hamstrings

3 sets of 10 reps with 26kg/57lbs dumbbells

Note. Gotta remember to stick your butt out to keep your back straight throughout the movement and slight bend in the knees are ok, have control over the dumbbells and really feel your hamstrings stretching and working. Don’t over-stretch your hamstrings as you might pull a muscle.

Seated calf raises

Seated Calf raise

Seated Calf raise

6 sets of 12-15 reps with increasing weight, starting from 40kg/88lbs pyramiding all the way to 70kg/154lbs.

Note. As mentioned, i do calves in a two-motion phase, i push 60% and pause for a split second then squeeze the remaining 40% of the movement. I do this to really cut my calves in two and have a noticeable peak to it. You guys should give it a try.

Last but not least abdominals:

I did weighted crunches, leg raises, some ab machines etc. I tried to go heavy on them, to develop my abdominal muscles and force them to grow. As for the last years i have done abs without weights for the most part, and like any other muscle they need resistance to grow bigger.

That’s it for my workout from yesterday. Tried my newly bought HD camcorder, not sure if it’s really any good, gonna try to have somebody take some clips of me to post here or gonna have to buy another one, that is better.

Remember keep training hard and stay motivated, don’t slack off. Sometimes it’s easy to miss practices and eat junk food since it’s summer, gotta have self-discipline. Make promises to yourself that you can keep, but even if you break them, don’t feel to bad about it, just make sure not to break too many promises! 🙂

Copyright: Gif pictures are courtesy of http://www.exrx.net. Own illustrative exercise pics will be up soon.


Hello everybody,

So this is a late post of my wednesday workout, which i was dreading since i usually hit the legs very hard and my muscles become very sore for the following 3-4 days. But hey, that’s the price you gotta pay for striving to achieve big things, right?

So i started my workout by warming my legs up doing a 5 minute light cardio and some explosive stretches to prepare the leg muscles for the up-coming workout. I didn’t take my usual pre-workout supplement mix, because i usually get a huge pump from leg workouts, so didn’t need more than that.

So let’s go to my workout:

*Barbell squats

Squat exercise

Squat exercise

Set 1: 12 reps of 80kg/176lbs

Set 2: 10 reps of 90kg/198lbs

Set 3: 8 reps of 100kg/220lbs

Set 4: 8 reps of 110kg/243lbs

Set 5: 8 reps of 120kg/265lbs

Set 6: 8 reps of 130kg/287lbs

*Sumo squat (variation of normal squat, with wide stance and feet pointing outwards towards where your knees are pointing, will post a picture of this also).

3 sets of 8-10 reps with 90kg/198lbs

*Barbell lunges

Lunge exercise

Lunge exercise

3 sets of 8 reps/per leg with 50kg/110lbs

Note. Gotta be careful with the weights in this exercise as you can easily pull a hamstring muscle,trust me as it has happened to me a few times.

Seated leg press machine

Leg press

Leg press

Only 2 sets of 10 reps, didn’t really pay attention to the weight as i was feeling the machine out, since it was a seated leg press. I usually do the traditional leg press. I went fairly heavy though, that i wouldn’t be able to do 12 reps with the weights.

Leg extension machine

Leg extensions for quads

Leg extensions for quads

3 sets of 12 reps with 50-60kg/110-132lbs on the weight rack, increasing towards the last set. I wasn’t trying to go really heavy anymore at this point, just trying to get the feel and develop the peak, just above the knees.

After finishing the hardest part being the quads and hamstrings, i finished the workout session with 2 different calf exercises, which are the following:

Standing calf raise machine

Standing calf raises

Standing calf raises

4 sets of 12 reps with 120kg/265lbs on the weight rack

Note. I would do the reps in two motion phase, first i would do 60 % of the full motion, then squeeze the remaining 40% after a split second pause. I have come to experience that this brings the peak out of my calves much better and i get a better burn through this.

Seated calf raise machine

Seated calf raises

Seated calf raises

5 sets of 12 reps with 80kg/176lbs on the weight rack

Note. As mentioned previously in the standing calf raises, i would also do this exercise in a two motion phase to get a better burn and higher calf peak with that.

So that was it for my legs and calves workout, i was very tired at the end of the workout. I had been at the beach all day long, so needed rest badly.

Good news!!! I got videos of most of those exercises mentioned above, so very soon i will post them here. From now on, i will try to have videos of most of my workouts.

Copyright: Illustrative gif pictures are courtesy of http://www.exrx.net. I will post pics of exercises that i will have taken myself soon and videos will be posted regularly from now on.